020 8906 7949

Timeline for Old Mihillhillians Club and Mill Hill School

25th Jan 1807

Grammar School for Protestant Dissenters founded by Samuel Favell and Rev John Pye Smith.

 

Favell and Smith

Founders Samuel Favell
and Rev John Pye Smith

 

Winterstoke Library
Winterstoke Library

 

St. Bees
St. Bees

 

Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth Visit

 

Favell Building
Favell Building

1821

Court of Life Governers founded.

1873

First edition of Mill Hill magazine. Henry Tucker, Master suggested in an article a society to keep former boys together and unite in support of School.

1875

150 boys on roll. Burton Bank opened, Sanatorium opened.

1878

Formal foundation of Old Millhillians Club and Rugby Club and Cricket Club mainly due to old boys wanting to play rugby and cricket:
15 OMs met at Freemasons' Tavern, London. Thomas Lapthorn -elected Chairman Club colours, participants (old boys and masters), club name, committee formed, officers, two General meetings per year, subs 10/6d. Object of Club to promote social intercourse amongst OMs and to maintain an interest in welfare of School.

1879

October, 1st Annual Dinner at St.James's Hall Restaurant. Cost 5s.

1890

First provincial dinner held in Liverpool: 500 members.

1898

Top Field levelled.

1907

Centenary - 262 boys on roll. Winterstoke Library opened. Visit by Prime Minister Sir Henry Campbell-Banneman.

1908

First Midland Dinner held.

1910

800 members.

1914

WW1.

1926

Headstone Lane was bought and used by Rugby Club.

1931

Peter Howard, Roger Spong and Wilf Sobey played for sasme England XV at rugby.

1934

OM club began participating in Alford House project.

1939

Evacuation of pupils to St.Bees, Cumbria.

1945

Reorganised Club after the war.

1953

Discovery of DNA by Frances Crick OM.

1957

Visit by Queen Elizabeth to mark 150th anniversary.

1960/70

Mill Hill school experienced social changes and relaxed traditional rules:
Fagging abolished, no single handed, no enforced watching of school and house matches, self service in dining hall, no monitorial system of discipline.

1969

Club moved from Whitehall Place to National Liberal Club.

1970's

School started accepting girls into 6th form and went fully co-educational.

1996

William Winfield became Headmaster
Formation of Grimsdell, Pre-Prep school and closure of Winterstoke House.

1998

Belmont Prep School became part of Mill Hill School Foundation.

2006

Launch of Friends of Mill Hill School Foundation and E-friends.

2007

Bicentenary Celebrations
including commemoration service at St Pauls, opening of Favell Building, Bicentennial Foundation Day, and Old Millhillian Annual Dinner.

Dr. Dominic Luckett became Headmaster of Mill Hill School Foundation

2016

Mrs Frances King becomes the Head of the Mill Hill School Foundation

 

  • Home

  • News

  • Events

  • Login

  • Contact